The Beginner’s Guide to Vaping
The Beginner’s Guide to Vaping
The Beginner’s Guide to Vaping
Everything you want and need to know
As a famous philosopher once said, “KNOWLEDGE IS POWER”. Making the leap into the world of vaping, especially if your aim is to quit smoking, can be daunting and confusing. Understanding the basics of vaping will help you make informed decisions. There is a lot of terms that are often used, and more so, facts you will want to know before you consider purchasing an e-cigarette from a vape shop.
This guide will help you to feel more comfortable stepping into the vaping world and help you to understand the fundamentals of what vaping is, and how it works.
What exactly is vaping?
Now, before we get ahead of ourselves, the first topic we really want to cover is, what is vaping? This may seem like a silly question to some, but others may be itching to understand what this new vaping trend is. In the simplest of terms, vaping is the inhalation of vapour, typically from an e-cigarette or another vaporizing device. There are a couple of things that can be vaporized (we will touch on this more in depth later) and there are many e-cigarettes and vaporizers available that cater to your needs. The actual e-cigarette is an electronic device that is typically manufactured using a couple main components.
- Battery (internal or external): this is also commonly known as a mod.
- Tank: this is where the material is placed and used to vaporize, using a heating element (coil or atomizer) and utilizes convection or conduction to produce the vapour.
The tank is made up of a couple main components as well:
- Coil or Atomizer: this is the part of the tank that is composed of cotton and wire, which is screwed into the inside the tank chamber. When connected to the battery, the coil heats up (similar to the wire coil in your toaster) and the heated coil in turn vaporizers the e-juice which has been absorbed by the cotton. The result is vapour.
- Tank Chamber: This is the part (often glass) of the e-cigarette that you fill with e-juice. It is equipped with a mouthpiece that you use to vape through.
A vast amount of e cigarettes have other features, of which some may include a digital OLED screen, and other fancy additions, but all e-cigarettes are composed of those main components.
You mentioned conduction and convection…I must have been on a smoke break when we learned that in high school, so what is that?
Don’t worry, even though you may have learned this at some point, it can be a tricky and confusing concept for some. Conduction vaping is what e-cigarettes use to heat the e-juice, using direct contact with a heating element, and can be simply understood.
- You click the button, which fires the battery.
- The battery is connected directly to the coil in the tank (the heating element).
- The battery transfers the current to the coil, which heats and vaporizes the e-juice.
So, if you are planning on only using your e-cigarette for e-juice, this is the only type of vaping you need to worry about.
Now, if you have more of a “green thumb”, and you plan on using substances like dry herb, or essential oils in your vaporizer, then you will want to know the alternative to conduction, which is convection.
Convection is a process that operates through the battery being heated, and the current then blows hot air onto the material. Think of a convection oven. This process allows for a much more even heating process and can allow for a smoother hit but can take a slightly longer amount of time to heat to higher temperatures, since it doesn’t use direct contact.
Now what’s the difference between smoking and vaping?
In a simple comparison, England’s public health department determined through a study that vaping is a 95% healthier alternative to smoking. Vaping has also helped thousands of individuals to kick the habit of smoking. Not only is this alternative healthier, by a long shot, but it also is much more fun, and enjoyable to vape, because you have thousands of delicious e-juice flavours to choose from. The effectiveness of this method to quit smoking also appeals to many who have experienced discouraging failures using the other alternative cigarette quitting methods that are available, such as nicotine patches, gum and pills.
How do I use my vaporizer?
- Ensure your e-cigarette is fully charged.
- Prime your coil
- Take your coil out of your tank (you may need to ask an employee at your favourite vape shop to show you how to do this the first time).
- Put a small drop of juice on any visible cotton.
- Fill your tank. Some tanks are top fill, while others are bottom fill, so you may need to read the manual or ask someone at a vape shop which type of tank you have.
- Turn your device on, this is typically done by rapidly clicking the fire key 5 times.
- Ensure the wattage or temperature your device is set at, is the suitable amount for the coil you have in the tank. The coil usually says the recommended wattage or temperature on it, and the manual will also tell you.
- Take a small, short puff to ensure everything is functioning properly.
If you are unsure about any of these steps (which are the steps in the most basic sense), make sure you go into your nearest vape shop and ask. It’s better to ensure you know exactly what you’re doing so that you don’t cause damage to your device or burn your coil out right off the get-go.
So, what can I vape out of these “vaporizers”
This can be complicated because every e-cigarette is different, and made to vaporize different things. Some vaporizers are made strictly for e-juice, and some are made strictly for dry herb and essential oils. Some e-cigarettes can handle e-juice and different types of essential oils, with the right tools.
The main materials that can be used in your vaporizer are:
- Essential oil (for example, shatter or CBD oil)
- Wax (for example, CBD wax)
- Dry herb
Before you try vaping any materials in your e-cigarette you should make sure that you are clear on what materials are right for your e-cigarette. If you are confused at all, take any questions to a vape shop, and they will be more than happy to help!
This definitely has been a lot of information, so if you are confused at all, make sure to ask your questions to someone who knows the drill! There is a lot of information in the world of vaping, especially on the internet, so when you are doing your research check to make sure you are investigating on sites that know what they are talking about. If you have looked online and can’t seem to find the answers you’re looking for, go into a vape shop near you, because everyone has had the same questions at some point.
If you want more information of vaping, or have a specific question, be sure to check out https://www.esmokercanada.com/blog for all your vaping needs! Here is the beginner guide on how to put together your first vaping kit.