Top 5 tips to help you keep your New Year e-Resolution
Top 5 tips to help you keep your New Year e-Resolution
Every year around this time, people begin thinking about the New Year and the changes it will bring. Some people make New Year’s resolutions to lose weight, get a better job, get married, or simply to get a life. Millions of Canadians will also make the eResolution to start vaping!
It is known that 37,000 Canadians die each year from smoking, with such a statistic why don’t Canadian smokers make the switch to this cleaner alternative? The answer is that most people just don’t know how to go about making the switch.
Follow the below top five tips outlined to help you stick to your e-Resolution:
1. Decide Right Now to Believe that You CAN Make The Switch to Vaping
Studies of smokers who successfully make the switch to vaping show that one of the most important traits is their belief that they have the ability to choose this cleaner alternative. It has been proven by scientists around the world that personal vaporizers (e cigs) are 95-98% more effective than other alternatives on the market to date.
So, do you believe that you can make the switch? If you don’t, you will have a much harder time. The best action you can take right now to start your vaping life is to fix in your mind the belief that you have the ability to make the switch. You might say that you can’t change your belief, but you can.
Believing you can strictly vape is so important because your belief will guide everything you do in your attempt to make the switch. The way you think, the research you do, the steps you take, the people you talk to, the help you seek—all these will be influenced by the belief you have in your ability to give up smoking. Believing shapes everything you do, so does not believing. If you believe something strongly enough your mind will give you the correct thoughts to help your body take you in that direction. Here are some tips to help you change your beliefs:
- To help strengthen your belief, write out several positive statements about your ability to make the switch on sticky notes. Read your notes three times a day: morning, noon and bedtime. Some suggested statements to use include: “I believe that I have the ability to stop smoking,” “I am a vaper,” “I no longer need cigarettes in my life,” “I happily made the switch to vaping” “I am a powerful, self-directed person,” “I control my own life.” Make up some of your own statements and ensure that they are positive, as if you have already completed the task. Feel free to share them in the comment section below for other challengers and vapers to possible use
- Post a sign on your bathroom mirror with one of the above statements on it
- Use visualization techniques (see Step 5 below) to visualize yourself mastering your smoking habit and winning the fight
- Ask your family and friends to encourage you with positive statements about your ability to make the switch to vaping (See Step 5 below)
2. No One Said Quitting Would Be Easy, let others help you
- Successfully making the switch to vaping can be challenging. Some people use their device and smoke at the same time, but eventually will stop smoking cigarettes
- Tell your family, friends, and coworkers that you are going to make the switch to vaping and that you want their support. Studies have shown that you have a better chance of being successful if you have help.
3. Choose the Best Start Kit/ Device for your vaping needs
Visit one of our locations in Toronto and let our friendly educated staff members to pair you with the right starter kit that suits your smoking habit. It is also important to test out our e liquids to ensure you enjoy your new device and start your vape life with the right flavor.
4. Prepare Ahead and Change Your Routines
- Prepare for the day you plan to make the switch. Think about your environment and what you need to change. Get rid of all tobacco products (and other items such as ashtrays) in your home, car, and where you work
- Don't let people smoke around you. Ask them not to use tobacco near you or leave cigarettes and other tobacco products where you can see them
- When you first try to make the switch, change your routine. Use a different route to work. Eat breakfast in a different place. Do something to reduce your stress. Try to distract yourself when you feel an urge to smoke or use tobacco. Talk to someone, go for a walk, exercise, or read a book. Plan something enjoyable to do every day!
5. Visualization Techniques
Visualization often begins with affirmations—positive statements you make to yourself as previously mentioned. State your affirmations positively and as if you already have what you are affirming. If possible, state your affirmations aloud, five to 10 times.
Some examples of positive affirmations include: “I enjoy breathing easily and deeply,” “I am free from any desire to smoke,” “My hands and teeth are clean and smoke free,” and “I am relaxed and calm.”
Write down some goals for yourself, relating to vaping. For example, “I will solely use my device by the last day of March,” or “My body no longer desires cigarettes,” or “I will take a vacation to Cuba next year with the money I save by vaping.”
To create deep visualizations that can profoundly affect you, relaxation is very important. To relax you should sit in a comfortable chair and close your eyes. Begin breathing long, deep breaths. Imagine yourself at the top of a staircase. Count down from ten to one, breathing once per number. As you count down, imagine yourself walking or even floating down the stairs. In between breaths repeat statements like “I’m getting very relaxed,” and “going deeper.”
Once you reach the count of “one”, let your mind wander for a minute or two. Then begin focusing on the affirmations and goals you have created for yourself. Don’t be concerned if you don’t immediately see anything. You may only see cloudy or fleeting images. That’s okay. With practice your visualizations will become more vivid.
Focus on controlling the images, however faint they may be. If you have set a goal to solely vape by the end of March, see yourself throwing all your cigarettes and ashtrays away on March 31. Try visualizing a package of cigarettes, then make it “explode.” Visualize your lungs as very clean and healthy. Visualize yourself effortlessly running a marathon. Visualize your friends and loved ones happy that you've quit smoking traditional cigarettes. Create your visualizations from the goals and affirmations you have written down.
Remember, don’t “push” your visualization it has been suggested that visualizations should be no more than 30 seconds at one time!
Happy vaping from all your friends at EsmokerCanada!